The Centennial or “children’s” fountain, by far the most famous of the two, was installed after the Centennial Exhibition of 1876 in the 1800 block of Eutaw Place.
This is the lesser known Gunther fountain. It was of bronze, about 18 feet tall, and stood in the grassy median of the 1400 block.
Prolific stereoview publisher William M. Chase sold this view of the Gunther fountain as part of his series “The Beautiful in Architecture and Landscape.” Orange mounts were employed after 1865. Stereoviews were given curved mounts after 1879. Since this photograph has a flat mount, it could have been created ca. 1865-1879.
Thoughts about possible architects of the handsome residences behind the fountain? Please share them by leaving a comment.